View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 10:25 AM   #21
jamiejo
Registered Users
seller

Re: Is more time off ok?

WELLLL, lemme tell ya....
this is our first year. We were doing alright, going at our own pace pretty well from August-mid Oct. THEN, our renters were suddenly moving out mid-lease, I had to find new renters from 5 hours away, And then go sign the lease. So that was a trip home, and a missed few days. Then DH took a vacay. A week off. Then I had to take the kids back to the rent house, and do about 10 days worth of work to the house. I'm talking resurfacing a flat roof, installing heaters, appliances, repairing a fence, trimming trees etc etc. No time for school altho he did get to help us work on the roof. We get home, and that Monday my Uncle unexpectedly passed. Threw us for a loop, and sent us back to Texas where we'd just left for a weekend. I didnt accomplish ANYTHING that week. Also that week found out baby #3 is on the way. At my Uncles funeral a veteran HS mom made me promise not to do any school until after Thanksgiving. She said "It doesn't matter. You need time to adjust to being pregnant, you need to let yourself grieve. You need to recover your household and prepare for Thanksgiving (company). Give yourself Grace" So I took her advice, and after Thanksgiving tried to start back up with a lighter load, but that was PG week 6 and I spent most of it on the couch. Week 7 too. We got a couple days done here and there. he's not forgotten anything, still an advanced reader. Still ahead in Math and still cant sit still for read alounds. lol. So yeah, that's where we are now. I'm feeling good enough to really get back into school work now, BUT we got the call yesterday that we're moving in less than 3 weeks. Back to Texas (YAY) and only 2 hours from my family (YAY YAY) we've not even started Christmas shopping. The house is a disaster. There is just no way to accomplish school until after we've moved. I'm hoping to move a bit faster through things and be done by the time this baby is born (Late July) So my little break has turned into a summer in the winter. I'm ok with it. The state doesnt care as long as we have a certain amount of days in attendance, but no cut off dates or anything like that. I'm sure this reads like a book. It's first grade. A GOOD solid reading foundation, a solid math foundation, writing sentences etc. The rest will work itself out. :shrug: