View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 09:35 AM   #1
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Update! It wasn't chapped lips! Cold sores!!!! SEVERELY chapped lips. What to do?

Update:
Well.. the lips seemed to be getting better but not totally clearing up. Then the boys started geting "bug bites" on their faces. We checked their room and couldn't figure out where they were coming from.

Our speech therapist saw the "bites" and "chapped lips" and said it looked like one of those cold sore/fever blister things. It had never occurred to me because I don't remember ever having one, and if I did, it was just one spot. But once he mentioned that, I realized that before the sores got to that point, they DID resemble an outbreak my husband gets once or twice a year.

So we took the kids to the pediatrician and sure enouogh, she walked into the room and said "So, are you here for those fever blisters?" DH said "If that's what they are, then yeah. We're here to figure out what is going on."

She said "Yep, classic cold sores with kids who can't stop touching their faces." So she gave us a med to help clear up the infection faster. And it turns out that my 5 yr old also has an ear infection.

So.. mystery solved, treatments started on Monday.. out break almost cleared up. We did stay home from church again though. My 5 yr old just can't stop touching his face and I would feel so absolutely terrible if he passed it to another kid.

So.. there it is... if your kids lips are severely chapped and aren't healing and the scabs are black and just won't heal up... think outside of the box, especially if there are other spots on their faces.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and help. But we WILL continue to use Lanolin for chapped lips.. as it actually was helping in a way, because he wasn't picking at the scabs once we started putting lanolin on them.. which I think is what helped stop the sores from spreading.. he wasn't picking open the scabs, so the infection wasn't spreading.

Thanks again everyone!

God bless!

DS is 7. His lips are so ridiculously chapped. He made it worse by picking at them. Now they are swollen and scabby, and of course the scabs are cracking open and bleeding.

We're making him drink tons of water, and we're putting chapstick on him several times a day. They don't seem to be getting better.

What else can I do? Do I really need to have a trip to the pediatrician's office over a case of chapped lips?

Thanks
God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!

Last edited by Michelle_M; 01-06-2013 at 11:59 PM.
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote