View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 04:09 PM   #11
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: My 17 month old is draining us

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah View Post
Since you know that he does all these things with the daycare provider but just not you, I really think that your little one knows that he can get his way at home. I have several daycare kids over the years that did everything expected at daycare but were quite the little tyrants at home. I am sorry if that is harsh....

this isnt going to fixed until you and the hubby get very firm and consistent with him. no TV period. do it cold turkey until he shows that he can play independently at home. I would expect this to take a couple weeks to a couple months, depending on how stubborn he is. no matter how much he cries for TV, dont give in! do the meals and if he doesnt want it, then he can wait till the next meal to eat. I dont have picky eaters here but I also never make meals based on lists of what kids eat. He will not starve, I promise. carrying is tougher but I would recommend limiting it to carrying only when necessary. if he wants attention, sit down next to him or let him climb in your lap to read a book but no more carrying around the house. I realize that is not something that every mom is comfortable with but that is what I would do. as for the clingy, that might be his nature but either way, just make goodbyes short and sweet. there is nothing else you can do. i do recommend that my daycare parents walk the kid to the door so mom doesnt have to rip him off her body and cause more drama by physically removing him.
I agree.

He doesn't sound particularly different than my own LO was a few months ago. Except that he knows who he can get away with things from and who he can't.

the TV has taught him to be a 'passive observer', so yeah.. of course it'll work. But if he has no more access to it, he'll learn... or.. he might just be like my DD and not really do toys. She's a gross motor child. Or we read. All day. I try other toys and they last a few minutes and she wants another book.. But it is getting better.. she's doing really well with her kitchen, but it is only 1 day old, we'll see if it lasts. Mostly, we read or do flash cards.

If he wants to play with light switches or whatever, put a stool and let him play with it. You can maybe get something done in those 30 minutes At that age, DD also loved playing in the sink. I hated the water waste, but she loved the water. I got her a water table and she didn't care as much about it, but you could try a water table indoors.. maybe more sensory play with beans or dry corn in a big bucket... it's a mess, but for some kids, sensory interests them more than big box toys.

but otherwise, I think post quoted above has it right. He doesn't fight with daycare because he knows he's not allowed. I've watched my friend's kid before and he's an angel.. until his mom comes to pick him up and we're chatting and then he's pushing every limit to see what he can get away with.