View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #5
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: House rules for hand held gaming system (or other electroics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UVASahm View Post
We were only allowed to play video games after homework or on the weekends, but were allowed free reign in the car. But, that was the first thing that was taken away if we talked back, didn't listen the first time, or fought with each other. It worked out well. Neither I nor my siblings play video games now (I'm 28, they are 24, 22, 22, and 19) and I think it is due to the fact that my parents were so lenient with their usage.

My husband on the other hand, was NEVER allowed video games. 30 minutes and only on the weekends. That is extreme, but not I can't get him away from them. Like right now, he is playing with his DS. He's 28! I think it's a double edged sword. They should definitely be considered a PRIVILEGE, but if they are restricted too much I think they become a fixation for some kids. Of course, this is all the personality of the child. I hope this helped! Listen to your instincts and I'm sure it will all work out!
Agree! The more restricted it was the more wanted it was. And it became an unhealthy relationship. I would say after homework and on weekends is fair. Of course meals with the family, church, etc should be deemed no-electronics zones