Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need advice! Dont know what to do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyH View Post
From Drugs.com:

From FDA.gov:
As I said before, you can find a lot of out of date information saying that emergency contraception inhibits implantation - yes, the FDA information is out of date. It has not been changed since the drugs were first approved for use in the U.S. It is no longer backed up by the current science.

Here is another article that speaks specifically to the FDA's outdated information:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/06/he...anted=all&_r=0

And to quote that article:

Quote:
But an examination by The New York Times has found that the federally approved labels and medical Web sites do not reflect what the science shows. Studies have not established that emergency contraceptive pills prevent fertilized eggs from implanting in the womb, leading scientists say. Rather, the pills delay ovulation, the release of eggs from ovaries that occurs before eggs are fertilized, and some pills also thicken cervical mucus so sperm have trouble swimming.

It turns out that the politically charged debate over morning-after pills and abortion, a divisive issue in this election year, is probably rooted in outdated or incorrect scientific guesses about how the pills work. Because they block creation of fertilized eggs, they would not meet abortion opponents’ definition of abortion-inducing drugs. In contrast, RU-486, a medication prescribed for terminating pregnancies, destroys implanted embryos.

The notion that morning-after pills prevent eggs from implanting stems from the Food and Drug Administration’s decision during the drug-approval process to mention that possibility on the label — despite lack of scientific proof, scientists say, and objections by the manufacturer of Plan B, the pill on the market the longest. Leading scientists say studies since then provide strong evidence that Plan B does not prevent implantation, and no proof that a newer type of pill, Ella, does.

But again, that was not the point of my post. If you don't approve of the emergency contraception, don't take it. That's your choice. However, it should not be mixed up with a medication abortion. They are different and work very differently. That was my point.

I'm a Family Nurse Practitioner but I work in Women's Health. Married to my DH since 2005. We love our menagerie of animals at Nutwood Farm.
snoggle is offline   Reply With Quote