View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 01:20 PM   #23
Dmpmercury
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Socially awkward?

Quote:
My older 2 are 5 and 4 and while we work on responding when people talk to them, I will in no way force them to talk to strangers, younger or older who approach them, or act as though they have done something wrong if they don't want to respond to strangers.

They get A LOT of extra attention because they have pretty striking red hair, and it's unusual I guess to see 3 kids with red hair, so they are stopped several times in stores and talked to by strangers wherever we go. It's uncomfortable for me (even though I do respond politely every time), I can only imagine how difficult it is for them as very shy kids to be approached and expected to speak to others they don't know so often.

My kids are also shy kids all with red hair though not striking red and we also get approached all the time because of it. I am just wondering how you work on responding with them if you don't force it. I don't force my kids either. I kind of show them how to respond by responding myself but I don't make them feel bad, call them shy or force it. They still do have trouble with it. I also don't like having to respond every single time but I do.

I see lots of signs that my oldest is getting better over time. She will never be a social butterfly but her social skills are getting better with age and she makes friends and plays appropriately. She is getting better at responding especially if it isn't a stranger and she isn't put on the spot but if it is a stranger and she is not expecting something she often won't respond. I don't think anything is wrong but other people sure do and comment on them all the time.