View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 02:35 PM   #9
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:
Re: HS Check in. Dec 31-Jan 13

We are working over here, only because my daughter is a slacker!! About a month ago, she was so far behind in math I gave her the option to extend her school year to work through or to work extra to get caught up. She chose the latter.

So I made a revised schedule for her just for math. Rather than doing 4-5 lessons per week, she was to do 10 lessons per week (ideally 2 per day) and be caught up by winter break. But then she messed that up. So I revised her schedule again by having her do math 6 days a week. Then she messed that up. I am seriously sick of it. The week before break, on Tuesday I made her stay home from her volunteer "job" because she didn't get her assignments done Monday. I told her she would not go to her 3 hours of dance classes that night if she didn't get her work done. She did it. Then on Wednesday, I said she couldn't go to her tumbling class if she didn't get her work done. She did it. Then on Thursday and Friday, she decided not to do anything at all since there was nothing I could take from her! Freaking teenagers, man! (BTW, I work nearly full-time and I work 12 hour days on Thursdays so I can't micro manage her like she's proving she needs.) By that Sunday, she was an entire week behind AGAIN.

She whined and complained that it's hard for her to do school when everyone else gets a break. Her siblings attend year round school so they frequently get a week off. I originally made her lesson plans so that she would have the same weeks off, but since she was lazy to begin with, now she works through the breaks.

Since she's homeschooled, it's not the end of the world to do this, I know. But I am trying to teach her a little something about deadlines and responsibility. At this point I don't know that she will, but she does desire to go to college. This kind of work ethic won't fly. And it won't work in the real world when she tries to get a job.

BESIDES ALL THAT MESS...she really doesn't like her English program. We are using Oak Meadow English 9. I think it's great and I really don't know what else to do. I've spent the past several days researching other options but I haven't found one yet. I really had hoped to have something chosen by now.