WeeEssentials
Registered Users
Formerly: cmarie14
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help! I can't make a decision regarding supplimenting

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmomma View Post
If I was in your situation, I would give it another week without formula, and see if her weight gain improves. Yes, I would be concerned about the slow gain, but she's only 2 weeks old. She may have had extra fluid on board and is balancing out. Since she's fine on all other accounts, I don't see the harm in waiting a bit longer before supplementing. Good luck!
I love that this is coming from an RN (did I read that right?) It's especially reassuring, hearing it from a mom AND a baby medical expert. I think my biggest fear is that I'm harming her by withholding formula, that somehow she is starving, but your post made me realize that if that was true, I'd likely be seeing it - have a sickly baby on my hand, not the alert, content (mostly!), satisfied little thing I have.

Thank you all, ladies. I'm feeling a bit better, though I don't like confrontation very much, so I have a feeling Wednesday's check in might be hard when they ask if I used formula. My husband said, "if it doesn't feel right, then there might be a reason. When they ask, just tell them - you don't have anything against formula, but it just didn't feel right to do it." I told him that when I think about giving her formula, my muscles tighten and I feel very "on guard" - definitely my instinct kicking in, but I can't figure out exactly what it is that is bothering me. I am more concerned with Abby's health than whether I breastfeed or not, so it's not about principles...

Make it reusable! Wipe Solution, Wipes, Mama Cloth, Wet Bags, Unpaper towels, Food Baggies, & more!
WeeEssentials on Etsy
Gabe 3-06, Ezra 9-08, & Madeline 5-10 and Abigail 12/12!
WeeEssentials is offline   Reply With Quote