View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 10:18 AM   #5
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Newborn loosing weight...HELP!

My DD has the same issues (except she was born at 39 weeks and 8lbs) she had trouble gaining weight the first two weeks. Lost more once we got home, jaundice, very sleepy ect. My ped said just keep nursing every 1 to 2 hours and not let her go more than 2.5hours between feedings. It took her about 4 weeks to get back to her birth weight and then she really started gaining. My ped and the LC also said to strip her down to her diaper when feeding and to rub her feet. That kept her sucking and getting milk instead of just nibbling. Once all those things were adjusted she started gaining weight more quickly.

She still hasn't gained as fast as my boys though.

I also went to see a LC (free at our local hospital) to check latch and she tweeked my latch and did a weight check before/after feeding to see if she was taking in milk or just nursing and not really getting anything. One my latch was better that helped too.

Edited to add: that my 35w NB took longer to gain also. He ate almost every hour at first. His jaundice was really bad (needed the bili blanket at home)

Last edited by Nerissa; 01-03-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Nerissa is offline   Reply With Quote