View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ok, I'll play!

We have three kids, 9/7/4. We just bought this house in April, a fixer, moved into it in June. Weren't looking for such a big house but a great deal fell in our laps in a highly sought neighborhood/schools. 2400 sf 4 bed, 2.5 bath, two story, attached garage, full basement that is half finished and half not finished, lake access but not on waterfront. My only requirements (besides the location) was at least two bathrooms, ideally a powder room on main floor separate from two full baths, an attached garage, a kitchen I could redo as I wanted. DH insisted on 4 bedrooms or a 3 bed that could be converted into a 4 bed.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure - I love the look of open concept but it does not work for us. I like having an eat-in kitchen that I don't have to look at when I'm relaxing in the family room or entertaining in the dining room. However, all the rooms on the main floor have open doorways with no doors so you can sort of see and definitely hear all other rooms.

This is a drawing I made of the first floor ages ago:

Then the 2nd story is the same as the first minus the garage/laundry room/porch. Over the family room and kitchen are two bedrooms, a full bath over where the powder room is, over the living room is the master suite with a small 3/4 bath, and over the dining is the last bedroom. All the bedrooms are fairly big. The basement has the same shape as the second floor, and under the family room and kitchen is unfinished with the furnace and water heater, lots of storage and a big workbench, the side under the living room and dining room is finished and is the kids' playroom. We use the living room as a library and the family room as our primary family gathering place. All the toys are in the basement.

LOVE having the laundry on the main floor. Love that it doubles as a mudroom and still has room for an upright freezer. Love the big windows looking out on the backyard as OP wanted. Love that is open enough to feel spacious but I don't have to look at dishes in the sink, or I can read in the library while someone is watching TV in the family room, and that I can hear the kids wherever they are from the main floor. Also like that I can watch a movie in the basement after they go to bed and it not disturb them.

Love attached garage, no rain or snow to deter me. Love being about to walk from said garage to unload groceries with no stairs. Love that I don't have to go up two flights of stairs to do laundry. Love my giant window with window seat in the kitchen. Love that my bedroom is west facing so I am not disturbed by the early morning sun. Love that it has tons of windows and needs no lights in the summer.

All the things I don't love about this house have nothing to do with the layout, and could be changed. I think that is key.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ForumRunner_20130104_224123.jpg (13.8 KB, 229 views)

Last edited by cherylchoo; 01-04-2013 at 08:56 PM.
cherylchoo is offline   Reply With Quote