View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #20
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: For the love of reading group! ~JANUARY 2013~ *Join us!*

Just when I think my daughter is 3 and I should maybe leave DS I discover frugal family threads just the day after I made my budget and this reading thread the very night I insisted my children turn off the electronics and go to bed with a book!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainfall View Post
On my Nook, I have started Anne of Green Gables as my first book of the year. I missed out on this when I was younger and was excited to check it out. It's a really fun read so far. I would have gobbled this and the entire series up as a young girl, I just know it.
We bought that for my daughter for Christmas about 4 years ago and she has never touched it. I will grab it off the shelf and read it with you. Starting tomorrow. It is too late tonight.

I see you like to read some classics and I'd like to get back to classics too (but no exclusively). This will be inspiring me to get back to those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpgrl75 View Post
One of my resolutions is to simply read more - much more. DH and I watch a lot of TV and surf the web at night so I want to detach and go escape in my mind.
Same here. And an interesting observation from me about Harry Potter: 1) I did not like the first book at all, yet everyone raves about it. 2) The middle of the series was more exciting to me. 3) I read Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix in my mother tongue and it was the book I enjoyed the most. It is also the first one of all the books that made me love the series (I struggled through the rest because I was teaching tweens and teens and wanted to know what they were going on about). I concluded that I connected better with HP in my mother tongue as it is about school and teen angst etc. I did all that in my mother tongue; therefore, it hit more home in Afrikaans.

Last edited by vatblack; 01-04-2013 at 09:20 PM.
vatblack is offline   Reply With Quote