View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 07:13 AM   #14
kaimon
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anyone work out?

It's winter. The city is still working on clearing the 45 cm of snow that fell on Dec 27th. There's no running right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1healthylady View Post

Is there a reason DH doesn't cook? Could you have him in the kitchen helping you for a couple months so he learns a little bit around the kitchen? I would not be a happy wife if he was home all day and didn't cook dinner. DH and I mostly cook together and we've both learned a lot by cooking together. That's also 'our' time to talk about our days and stuff. Taste of Home has an excellent Crock Pot meals cook book and I just got a new Casserole Queens Cook book. Both of those could work so all he has to do is plug in the crock pot or stick a casserole in the oven. The Casserole one has a bunch of freezer friendly meals too, so you could get some 'cooking' done on the weekend and free up some of your evening.
He's home all day but he works full-time. He's connected to the office via internet and phone. He's not self-employed. Only working from home.
He will cook some really (really really) simple things. If I leave him really explicit instructions he will cook. But he has not even the basic understanding of cooking and no inititative in learning. I've been trying for years. It's not going to happen. Every now and then I can get him to do eggs etc, pasta with jarred sauce or heat something pre-prepared. So yeah, sometimes he can do that. Not on a regular basis - he doesn't know more than a handful of meals that he can make without me prepping him. It doesn't save all that much time to be honest. I still have to tell him what to make and how to make it. I still have to do all the shopping. If there's instructions I have to write them out, and run them by him to make sure it's all clear. I don't have time in the morning to do this. So I would end up spending just as long each evening prepping tomorrow's meal as I do just make supper when I get home.

We don't have a big freezer and have no where to put one. I can make some meals ahead but even that takes time. I guess if I'm more motivated and organized I can manage to make 1-2 freezer meals for the week ahead. At least on the weekends when we're not away.

Plus DD is allergic to dairy so the majority of simple, easy recipes don't work for us without modification. And modifications blow his mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage View Post
What are his hours? Is the daycare way out of his way to work? Could he help with the drop offs and pick ups?

I still think your schedule makes it really hard to actually work out. Even if you get up early, you'll see something else you need to do, and by the time you start your workout, one of the kids is waking up. For a few years at least your life is not your own. But, as the kids get older it gets much easier.

I do wonder though if your husband can pitch in a little more. Even if it's just to get dinner started, or heated or something.

It wouldn't make sense for him to do daycare drop off and pickup. We don't have a second car. It would take 1.5-2 hours to do one or the other using public transit. Both would take 3-4 hours out of his day. Daycare is on campus at the university, not near our house. (And no switching is not an option either - daycare spots here have 2-3 year waiting lists).

We've worked out that he's going to have the car one day a week and I'll use transit to get to work that day so that the kids can do their swimming class. But we can't do that all the time. The car is a requirement for my job. I have home visits to do. One day a week where I schedule only office work is possible. More than that wouldn't be.