View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 10:37 AM   #4
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Budget naive

For us to have a workable budget we used mint.com a couple months to see what we were spending, along with getting actually numbers for all our bills on paper. We took the two and created a budget. That way we weren't picking random numbers for anything (like when we'd done our budgeting before and decided $400 a month sounded reasonable for groceries... without realizing we'd been spending nearly $1000!!).

As far as sticking to it, cash for groceries helps a lot and reminding each other daily!

Do you guys have 'fun money' or 'blow money' in your budget? I found that even a small amount helps, that way if I see something I want to buy that's not in the budget I can save up 'my' money for it, but often it helps me realize I don't need it. With DH it gives him money to spend on things like the fast food he just 'had' to have in the middle of the night last night without blowing the budget.

I get $25/m and DH gets $50/m... I wish I could convince him to do less, especially since he also gets a $25 gift card every month from his employer for biking to work, but he clings to that money pretty hard and he does work hard for it.
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote