View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 12:00 PM   #3
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Whole chicken for more than 1 meal?

We usually get 3 meals out of ours. First usually being roasted chicken. Our list of meals that we can make- chicken pot pie, chicken and dumplings, enchiladas, shredded barb chicken sandwiches. We have lots of sides/veggies with the roasted chicken so that we eat an actual recommended portion size of chicken. For pot pie and dumplings we use the same base. So all the left over chicken gets chunked and thrown in. So its the chicken, thickened broth and tons of veggies (whole bag of soup veggies and usually half a bag of green beans) and sometimes potatoes. Then we make the dumplings. Eat chicken and dumplings. Left over soup goes in the fridge. Next day gets heated, dumped into a pie crust and baked for pot pie. The key to making it stretch is adding other ingredients. If we didn't use a whole bag of veggies the chicken wouldn't stretch. Add beans and rice to the enchiladas etc. We do the same for chicken noodle soup- its loaded with soup veggies and I usually put in a can of tomatoes as well.