View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #10
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
It depends on my mood, but its usually some variation on one of these...

Simple method: preheat oven to 375. Clean giblets out of chicken, rinse and pat dry. Brush skin with oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for roughly an hour and a half until the meat next to the bone temps at 155. Put on the counter to set 15 minutes. Serve it up.

"Fancy chicken" method: set a stick of butter out to soften. When its soft, mix in 1 Tbsp garlic, half an onion (minced), salt, pepper, thyme and sage. Roll the butter into a log in plastic wrap, refrigerate a couple of hours (or do a day ahead) to set. Preheat oven to 450. In a roasting pan, make a layer of big cut veggies (carrots, onions, parsnips, celery, etc). Clean out the chicken, rinse and pat it dry. Place chicken on top of veggies. Slice compound butter into rounds, slide about half of the butter rounds under the skin of the chicken, fill the cavity of the chicken with 1 onion and 1 green apple, both coarsely chopped, and about half the remaining butter. Truss the chicken (there's a million YouTube videos for this). Dot the veggies with remaining compound butter. Put pan in the oven. After 10-15 minutes turn oven down to 350, continue baking another hour. Remove chicken from oven and set on counter 15 minutes to rest.

Mmm... I think roasted chicken is going on next week's menu.
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote