View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 09:24 AM   #21
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: From anti-vax to pro-vax?

I was kinda of neutral for a while. My mom had polio which left her with one leg a quarter inch shorter than the other, which permanently messed up her pelvis which led to serious issues trying to birth me, her oldest which ended in an emergency C/S. That factored into researching more. When I was in college I worked in a lab that still has ongoing research so I won't go into too much about it, but it led me to see a lot of what parents see as a vaccine injury isn't really a vaccine injury. Now, there are of course parents who DO experience vaccine injuries in their children and I am not minimizing that, just that not all are vaccine injuries. Then I started into the well of peer-reviewed research and started to see that the anti-vax arguments were generally quite thin in anything to back it up whereas the pro-vax arguments had in many cases decades of verifiable and duplicated data to back it up. I also liked that the trend of the vaxes was to continue to evolve them and make each one safer and full of less "stuff" over the years. We do receive more vaccinations now than the 80's, but each vaccine is safer and more streamlined, which results in being exposed to less than we were exposed to as children.

After college I worked in NYC and a co-worker's baby caught pertussis and passed away. It was heartbreaking. I can still remember that cough, it was so scary.

Finally, I had a professor break down exactly how a vaccine works. I gave this example in another thread, but vaccines are like advanced intelligence at how the enemy is going to try to kill you. You get advanced warning and are able to build you factory and manufacture all your weapons molds, so the factory is ready and waiting to churn out the exact weapons you need in order to take down the enemy. With someone who hasn't been vaccinated, their body is blindsided. They have to spend the time to assess the situation, build the factory, and then start manufacturing the weapons. They are behind in the fight. Preparation is often the difference in success versus failure in every walk of life. Why should our bodies be any different?

So, I don't know anyone whose child or who as a child was affected by a vaccine other than a few people who had rashes, or fevers, or some lethargy. But, I do know someone with a dead baby and someone else who hasn't walked without pain since she was a pre-teen. I am not interested in anecdotal evidence anyways, but if I were to look at the anecdotes that I actually know in real life, I would rather risk a rash than what my co-worker deals with. JMO.

"More Baby" coming May 2014

ISO - Curious George Twin Pottery Barn bedding... will pay with PP.
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote