View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 11:36 AM   #24
MyLovely
Registered Users

Re: From anti-vax to pro-vax?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda29 View Post
My sources were all print ones that are not available online (medical journals). Sorry!

Just curious, why are so many pro-vaxers against the flu shot and/or rotavirus? I live in a small town now and no longer have access to a medical library, so I don't feel like I can do any legit research anymore.

Rotavirus can be deadly very quickly in very young infants, thus why it is really only necessary for them (as opposed to older kids--no point anymore, their bodies can handle it). A healthy unvaxxed mom and her unvaxxed toddler here died yesterday from confirmed influenza. So I am curious about others' findings about those two specific vaccines. Thanks!
I think that many are conflicted about the fact it's not as effective as other vaccines. According to the CDC, the effectiveness varies from year to year. Some years it's incredibly effective, others, like this year, may be as low as 62% effective (according to TIME magazine). I don't view vaccines as remotely dangerous, assuming the individual getting vaccinated isn't allergic to the ingredients and has no history of reaction. Therefore, I'm a big fan of the flu vaccine because lowering the risk that much (influenza, as you said, can be a big deal) is totally worth it.