View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 09:16 AM   #30
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Should I try and get my kids chicken pox?

Here is some info copied from a hospital's website re: chickenpox:
http://www.chop.edu/service/parents-...icken-pox.html

Typically, children with chickenpox experience an itchy rash of 250 to 500 blisters beginning on the chest and face and spreading over the entire body. They may be tired, feverish, and have a headache. Some children may experience vomiting or diarrhea. The illness usually lasts about five to 10 days.
Of 1,000 people with chickenpox:
About 100 will require medical attention
About two will be hospitalized
About 50 will suffer from infected blisters; in some cases the bacterial infection is caused by group A streptococcus (GAS). When GAS enters the bloodstream, it can lead to a mild infection or, less commonly, a more severe situation such as necrotizing fasciitis, also known as "flesh-eating bacteria," or streptococcal toxic shock syndrome (STSS). Necrotizing fasciitis destroys muscles, fat, and skin tissue. STSS causes a rapid drop in blood pressure and organ failure. About 1,500 people die from GAS in the U.S. every year; some of these as a complication from chickenpox.
Other complications from chickenpox can include dehydration from vomiting or diarrhea, pneumonia, or swelling of the brain (known as encephalitis).
Before the vaccine about 50 children died each year from chickenpox infection or its complications; many of these were previously healthy children.