View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 03:55 PM   #18
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: 'The talk' for uninterested older kids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabritt View Post
Our oldest ds is nearly 10. Next school year he will be in the 5th grade, this is the year the kids are separated and go through a educational series about puberty and s3x. I've been thinking about whether I will allow I'm to attend, and I'm still on the fence. I want to talk with him first. Problem is, he's a very introverted child and doesn't like to be uncomfortable. Body things are uncomfortable for him (even though we've assured him body things are normal). He's not talkative and never has been, he's just quiet and is happy to be that way. How would you approach a child who might not WANT to know but is getting to an age where needing to know the facts/what's normal is necessary. I always thought we'd do the 'age appropriate answers' for this but he's never asked.

Fwiw, our other boys haven't ever asked either.
My mom tried to have the talk with me and I would not have it.
She got me a book and I read it.

I really wish that I would have been more interested in some aspects and had real conversations with her, but the truth is, at 34 yrs old, I'm still not interested in talking about those things with most people.

that being said, I think several different types of books would be good. The anatomy type one was good, then a book that talked about other aspects of the talk would have been good on top of that.

if my mom had forced me to sit there and listen, I would have been very upset and I wouldn't have been listening.

ETA: I would let him go to the class. I generally think they're pointless and not done well at all, but otherwise it's going to be all hearsay from the other kids and that's worse. If those classes did anything other than confuse half the kids, forums like babybump, etc wouldn't have any threads in them at all (we had sex 4 hours ago and now I'm nauseated, does that mean I'm pregnant? I'm pregnant and we just had unprotected sex, can I be double pregnant now?). So, I would ask after the class if they needed to talk about anything or had any questions.

Last edited by EmilytheStrange; 01-13-2013 at 04:01 PM.
EmilytheStrange is offline   Reply With Quote