View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 03:27 PM   #27
Registered Users
Not technically my kid, but I am raising a teen that has had no structure and very little attention. She is expected to leave her room and bathroom clean when she leaves for school each day. Stuff put away, bed made, laundry taken downstairs if her laundry bag is getting full, makeup etc put away, counter wiped down, no gross feminine messes, and if needed, mirror cleaned. She basically has to clean up after herself (it is rare for anyone else to use her bathroom). I will deep clean the bathroom. But the bedroom is all her.

I don't think it is too much to ask, and honestly it is just a starting point. I will need to help her catch up to her age/maturity level, and then be ready for adulthood. Cleaning up after herself is just a drop in the bucket.

Eta: I actually have to have a talk with her today. Last week I had to get a spare piece of furniture out of her room (was hers, but she insists she doesn't want to use it) and found dirty towels, clothes, and dishes stashed in the drawers. That does NOT count as a clean room. That is just gross, even if it appears pretty. Generally, if she goes more than a day or two without meeting expectations, she will get a warning, then her phone taken away.
Wife to Joe. Proud, tired mommy to Captain Destructive (6/09), Sir Screams-a-lot (8/10), and another little miracle due 3/13.
Trusting God brings life. Believing brings rest.

Last edited by joeslittlewoman; 01-14-2013 at 03:33 PM.
joeslittlewoman is offline   Reply With Quote