View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 01:01 PM   #7
xtin
Registered Users
seller

Re: Glucose tolerance test tomorrow. Suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
what?!!?!

NOT calling you a liar, but could you have misunderstood that bolded part??

How could they possibly inject insulin if they don't know if you need it? That could be so very bad for you.... That makes no sense. Insulin can be dangerous for someone who typically already has LOW blood suagrs. Not to mention, anyone who doesn't NEED it. .... that's just such a bad idea.

I hate to ask this, but could they be stereotyping and treating you based on what they presume your diet looks like b/c of your weight? (you know, the old idea that all overweight people gorge on crap food all day...)

Also, did you ask for an alternative to the test?

For example, myself and many other mamas do at home testing using a glucometer instead of doing the GTT. It seems to be a happy in-between for most doctors. You get to eat your regular diet, keep a food journal, and take fasting and after meal sugars for a few days. This gives them a good idea of what your body is doing. Would your doc be willing to do it this way??
I'm not obese, just overweight so it's not me, just standard practice.
I used to be 342 pounds and I was 168 pre-pregnancy and have gained 17 (28.4 weeks). 12 of that in my first trimester due to having constant meals to ward off nausea
I ate scrambled eggs this morning, then 47 jelly beans at 9am, which spiked my blood sugar, gave me heart palpitations and raised my BP got stuck three times and even though I was fainting, they stuck me during it because it was close to the cut off window for the GT test. Not a fun morning, will get my results in 24-48 hours so will update.

I remember my previous GTT coming back both under 100, so I'm not overly concerned, just a little since I'm measuring ahead and this baby just FEELS huge lol