Old 01-17-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
~KittyKat~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Homemade yogurt!

Hi Ladies,

I just wanted to share my experience I had today with making my own yogurt. I started with 4 cups of milk as a test batch and I gotta say it turned out amazing! Not only does it save a ton of money, but there's no icky stablizers and gelatin in it. Also you can control the amount of sugar and other ingredients that go into it as well. My 4 cups of milk yeilded 6 1/2 cup servings after straining mine so it has a thicker texture and milder flavor. I am working on my 2nd batch now with double the amount . So for those that may be interested, here is what I did.

I put the milk in a glass, microwavable bowl. I used 2% milk but you can use any kind you like. I microwaved the milk in 5 minute increments, stirring and checking the temperature each time. Once the milk reached a temperature of 185 degrees (when it begins to froth), I took it out and set it on the counter. Let the milk cool to 115 degrees and add in 2-3 Tbsp of plain yogurt. I personally used the Dannon all natural brand. Stir it in really really good. I then set up my microwave with a towel on the bottom and put a heating pad on top of that. I covered the bowl with a plate and wrapped the bowl in towels to fill the space in the microwave. Plug the heating pad in and set it to medium. The cord will hang out but just place something in front of the door to keep it most of the way shut. Make sure it doesn't automatically shut off. Mine does, so I have to keep turning it back on. The point is to keep the mixture between 100-115 degrees. Leave it for 8-12 hrs. I personally left mine for 10 hrs. Take it out of the microwave and place it in the refrigerator for 3-4 hrs. If you like thinner yogurt then you are done. If you like it more like greek style, take it out of the fridge and place coffee filters in your pasta strainer. Put a bowl under it. Transfer your yogurt onto the coffee filters. Place it back in the fridge for a few hours. You will notice a thin, yellowish syrup draining off, that's the excess whey. After a few hours you should have a nice thick yougert. To flavor it, I took 1/4 of the small bag of mixed frozen berries. Thawed them out in the microwave for about 1 minute. Add a bit of sugar and puree it in the blender. Remove your yogurt from the coffee filters and mix with the pureed berries. Place in individual cups and put them in the refrigerator, make sure you save a few tbsp for your starter for your next batch. Enjoy!

You can flavor it any way you want. With honey (I am allergic or I would), agave, brown sugar, maple syrup..anything. Some people suggest using baby food fruit jars. This is said to keep for 1-2 weeks in the refrigerator. I gotta tell you, I think mine tastes better than the store bought, I am completely in love!

I know it sounds like it takes alot, but actual hands on time for me was less than an hour from start to finish. Trust me, it's sooooo worth it.

Anyone else do this? Any other ideas for flavorings?
~KittyKat~ is offline   Reply With Quote