View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 03:57 PM   #18
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Mommy preference -- What do you do?

My kids don't get a choice, but there have been and are times regularly where it just really isn't an option, so they have gotten used to both of us doing things. We tell them mom and dad are a team and work together to help them.

My first 2 are 13 months apart, so we started when our oldest was about 9 months old DH put him to bed every night. It was hard at first, and he hated it at first, but there was no way I was going to be caring for a nb and putting him to bed/waking up with him at night every night.

My second was SUPER high needs and cried for the first 18 months of his life when I left the room for any reason. But I had to shower, and make dinner, etc, so he got daddy time. By the time he was 18 months old, it was no big deal and now you would never know.

DD is the only one who while she prefers me, has never rejected any kind of help or attention from DH, so it's just never been an issue. I did start leaving her with him for 2-3 hours 2 times a week (which included putting them all to bed) when she was about 3 months old though, so she got used to it.

I think it's important for kids to realize that BOTH parents are there to care for them, there is no better parent, but we work together. I give DH lots of opportunities to spend time alone with the kids so they view him as my equal when it comes to caregiving.