View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 11:37 AM   #19
1healthylady
Registered Users

Re: How to try to avoid ppd?

I was really worried about PPD because I do have a history of depression. DH encapsulated my placenta for me. He said it really wasn't difficult. He wasn't grossed out by it at all - he just viewed it as another organ or cut of meat he would have prepared. We've had our dehyadrator for several years now. You can get them for around $50-$60, I think. Ours came from Bed, Bath and Beyond. We use it to dehydrate fruits, veggies, and other foods, especially when we're getting ready for a backpacking trip. It was such a gift to have DH do it for me. Because I lost so much blood there's no way I would have been able to do it myself.

In addition to my placenta, taking a daily bath helped too, I think. A friend had gifted me a PP herbal bath (lavender, comfrey, witch hazel, and like 10 other herbs). Everyday for the first week and a half DH or my mom drew me a warm bath with the herbs. It was supposed to help me just heal faster, which it did, but it also gave me the excuse to pass off the baby and take some time to just relax. DH set me up with my iPod and dock listening to my music I labored with and with a bowl of ice water and a washcloth. It was AMAZING. I think having so much help and support really helped keeping PPD at bay. Everyone was aware it was a possibility because of my history, so they all kept me in check. There were definitely some crying days, but nothing too long-term.

Good luck!!