View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 12:30 PM   #5
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: what do you allow your 8 year old to do??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
whoa.

OP, I don't have an 8 yr old, but I do know an 8 yr old in a family that is close friends with us. And no, she is not like that at all. She is sweet and innocent, and she seems to feel a little self-conscious and awkward about herself. She makes jokes she thinks are funny, but sometimes aren't. We all laugh anyway because we don't want her to feel bad, but it's like 10 seconds later she realizes it wasn't funny and then is embarrassed.... she also asks strange questions.

That's the 8 yr old I know. Seems to be in an awkward phase, but she is totally sweet and loving and innocent. Nothing like what you are describing....

"never get fat" pact is just weird... and actually SAD. to me anyway.
My 8 yr olds were exceptionally confident children & were both on debate teams in elementary school. Many people thought they were 'too grown up' for their ages. They just had parents who loved letting them explore their interest & run with it! They were both class presidents throughout high school. My oldest is now 20 and her college is paid for through athletic & academic scholarships. My 18 yr old is a senior & currently choosing what scholarship offers to accept or decline. Not all permissive parents who dont have akward children are permissive in ways that harm their children - just food for thought
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote