View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 04:45 PM   #1
mistylynn313
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Question about 4 yo regressing after new baby

DD just turned 4 in November and started regressing about a month before newest DD was born. The baby was born Dec 19th. Oldest DD is regressing big time and for the most part I'm doing my best to be okay with it. But how long should I expect this to last? Maybe I should back up a bit...

Her regressing mostly involves potty training. She was 100% day/night time potty trained. About a month before the baby was born oldest DD started having accidents at night. After a week or so of this, we put her back in pull ups at night. As time went on she started having more and more day time accidents. She was in day care at the time and would sometimes have an accident at daycare, but most of the accidents were at home. As soon as she got home she'd stop using the potty. We'd ask, offer, bribe, cajole... she'd say no or she'd sit and not do anything, then get up and then pee in her pants.

Now, a month later, its getting old. Last week we started offering her a treat when she peed in the potty and she was doing really well. Now, she's back to peeing in her pants all the time. Today she's sat on the potty twice and had three "accidents". I'm really trying hard to be patient, but its getting super frustrating. I'm getting to the point where I'm getting a lot less understanding. We've tried: sticker charts and giving her treats after she goes... I've heard that you're not supposed to punish kids over pottying issues, so we've avoided that so far, but I'm getting to the breaking point. Especially because she is 4 and she knows how and when to use the potty.

She is doing a few other things - baby talk/babbling, control issues over food (saying she wants one thing for breakfast and then when I fix it, says she didn't want that and she wants something else...) and those aren't too bad. I get irritated over the food issues, but the main issue is the potty.

I'm just wondering if there is a better way to deal with the pottying or if there is a point where I should punish her for "accidents. Our methods of punishment tend to be taking away toys/activities/treats, etc. We don't spank and time outs have never worked for her... Anyway, I would love advice or suggestions.