View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #126
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Re: Let's talk childhood obesity....

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
Technicality, really. Since the post I quoted said babies generally breastfed until they could just take bites off mom's plate. And my point is that moms have traditionally altered the state of food for babies.

I'm a fan of BLW, but I'm not under the impression that it was the normal way pre-Gerber.

Thinking about another post that said organic carrots are not healthier than non-organic carrots, I don't know about that either. We switched to organic carrots and they have the most vibrant, potent juice. It practically stains the fingers while I cut it. There's definitely a difference and I'm sure it potentially adds up to more of something and probably certain nutrients.

But that's neither here nor there. Getting people to eat more carrots would be a success, organic or not.
The bigger point that I was trying to make is that we don't have to start out on rice cereals and then carefully add one fruit or vegetable at a time. (unless you have reason to suspect allergies, which is different) Parents have become dependent on Gerber. We don't have to feed our babies the commercially prepared "baby foods" like that's our only option. Lots of people are surprised I make my own baby food. It tastes more like "real" food we're eating. It's got a thicker texture to it. And while prechewing a baby's food is altering it for the baby's needs, it's likely to be whatever the rest of the family is eating anyway. In our society babies start out on baby food and get duped into this idea that babies have to eat something different from the rest of our family. Then we think our toddlers need toddler food. And our kids need kid-friendly food. And it's not true. It's what baby food companies want you to believe, but it's not true.

Also, about the organic vs regular-- I have heard that in general our vegetables don't have the same nutrient levels from years ago because our soil has been depleted of it's nutrients.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote