View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 10:37 PM   #129
Arabesque
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerfan
No kid is ever going to starve themselves to death. Kids survived the picky phases long before McCrap and goldfish crackers.

I don't intend to sound mean (and by all means, do what works for you), but just because a kid is going through a picky phase doesn't mean they need nutritionally inferior food to get by. Trust me, I've been there with all four kids. I've even been there with a stepchild would did get to eat McDonald's every day with his mom. He never starved or even went hungry at our house, and we didn't resort to just giving him junk.

With all of our kids, we just continued to offer the same healthy food as always, and they would pick what they wanted. Usually at the next meal (or the next day), they made up the missed calories with more healthy options.

Kid pickiness is a phase, but our culture caters to it. It hasn't always been that way, and indeed it is not that way in other cultures that I've been exposed to.
Actually, I would've jumped for joy if DS had a bite of a McDonalds hamburger. I'm not exaggerating when I say that DS would not eat for days at a time, or only eat a handful of Cheerios and a piece of fruit. This was beyond normal pickiness, and even led to arguments between DH and I.

Like I said, he is getting better, but after two years of making (and throwing away) nutritious food, I fully admit that I burnt out and just gave him boxed mac n cheese. Even then, he often didn't eat it.