View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 02:38 AM   #43
HugeBabyBoy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiemama
i am flabbergasted at the things my BIL and SIL allow their 8 yr old to do. She's had her own digital camera since 5 (a nicer one than we have, mind you) and now she has her own cell phone and regularly texts people.

then i read some stories of 8 years olds going out on a date, entering "no getting fat" pacts with their friends, and having their own smart phones and laptops.

so, seriously... what do you allow your 8 year old to do? Do these things sound normal in your household? Or is this outrageous to you, too?
I can't speak on the behaviors or social lives of 8 year olds, so I'm only going to touch on the electronics issue...

Although they may not be staples in everyone's home, I certainly don't find it "outrageous" that she has a camera or phone.

When DD has been interested in the technology around her, we encourage her to explore. She's 3yo and has her own iPad and a flip video that are obsolete to DH and I. She FaceTimes or Skypes with us (when we are traveling for work or if we won't make it home before bedtime), the grandparents, her aunts, makes movies & videos, takes pictures, play games, etc. If one of us ran to the store and we call to see if anything else is needed, she says, "I can't see you!" She lives in an age where communication is no longer strictly audio, but visual. These pieces of technology are part of our lives and our world, and for us, they bring us closer together.
HugeBabyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote