View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 11:13 PM   #1
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

When did your LO start counting (like quantities)

When did your kiddo start counting and understanding quantities?

DD is 20m and for a while she's been counting in general, I think single digits. Like she would count to 3 and then run or jump. But over the last few days I've realized she's also counting how many things there are, and she's doing it accurately. I'm not trying to brag (although it is neat to see your LO master something new), but I'm really curious just how far ahead of the curve this may be because I have some concerns about autism.

I fall on the high-function end of the spectrum, so I'm really nervous about passing it on. The fascination with numbers is something that strikes me as unusual for her age. I'm not actively teaching her numbers, I've never taught her how to count. I've realized over the last few days that she will announce how many of something she's holding, or if I give her a small tomato she'll ask for 3 and wont be content until I give her not 1, but 2 more. If I ask her how many ducks there are in a picture, she can accurately count it up to about 5. If she's holding an egg shaker, she'll look at it puzzled and say "two???" then go and find the other one so she has 2.

I think she's typically developing in other areas, and her ped didn't have any concerns. She interacts well with others, makes eye contact, points etc... But the other thing that seems unusual is how she plays with her toys. Even by around 9 months old she just lined up or stacked toys neatly. In general she likes to move all her blocks from one container to the other and back again, or line up everything by type, or put all the cheerios together. My mom said I was the exact same way at that age, and nothing like my siblings.

That's early to start understanding numbers right? When do kids typically learn to count, and is a fascination with numbers and organization is a possible early sign of autism?
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote