View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 02:43 PM   #2
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 5th disease and pregnant?

We had a bit of a run-in with that when my sister and I and another friend were all expecting last year. Your biggest risk is in your first trimester, so you are likely all clear, but your OB might want to do some blood work just to be sure. You can be tested for the antibody, to see whether you're already immune. If you're not immune, or if you think you might have contracted it yourself (flu-ish symptoms, no rash for adults, arthritis-like feeling in joints) then they'll probably want to do a series of tests and possibly some ultrasounds to check on your baby. The chances of complications are really quite small, and I wouldn't worry about it at all, but it's better to check just to be on the safe side.

I was right at the end of my pregnancy when my kids got it, and I got it myself shortly after DD was born. It made me totally exhausted (on top of being a few days postpartum) and made my hands ache so badly I couldn't do much with them. But, DD was fine, and it didn't take too long for me to feel better too.

All the best!