View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Not sure what I want to do...

My little guy is a little over 14 weeks old. He was EBF with no problems. At around 10 weeks, he took his first bottle of pumped milk. Since then, he's taken the occasional bottle no problems.

Friday, DH and I had a date. We only went to dinner, we werent gone more than 2 hrs. I didn't have time to pump any milk, so he got his first 2 ounces of formula. When we got home, I nursed him, but he fussed, so I gave him another bottle. He woke up once in the middle of the night, nursed fine, and nursed fine first thing in the morning.

Over the weekend, things got crazy and he was fussy so he got a few more bottles. Sometimes pumped if I had time, sometimes formula.

Today, home with all three kids by myself, he was pretty much throwing a fit if he didn't get a let down IMMEDIATELY, so I ended up giving him bottles most of the day. I just simply didn't have time to fight with him every time it was time to eat to try to get him to nurse. I have tired to pump but I admit, again, I just didn't have much time. It's been a busy day.

So, now we have a problem. Of course, a preference for the bottle. It happened very quickly. At the moment, I am struggling to get him to even latch on.

I had this problem with my now 4 yr old, I fought it hard from the time she was 8 weeks until she was 5.5 months old before giving up. And once I gave up, she was a MUCH happier baby. I swore I wouldn't force my kids to nurse if they were clearly unhappy doing so.

But I don't want to be done nursing yet. I feel like, if I can just get my supply up to where I am getting a let down faster, I could get him to take the breast again. I just don't know that I want to invest the time and the energy when there's a perfectly good alternative that he's perfectly happy taking. I have NO opposition to formula, other than the cost. And I don't have a problem with him bottle feeding, I just don't think I am ready to be done nursing yet.

I don't know, I don't know if I am asking for advice or just thinking out loud so to speak.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote