View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 06:47 PM   #3
cmarsh31
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Step-parent Adoption

My youngest brother was adopted by my dad - so technically a step-parent adoption. His bio was out of the picture almost as soon as conception occurred - essentially the same as PP. The actual adoption took forever (literally years - the judge died in the middle, they had to re-do the home visit, equally hysterical since at that age he had no clue that "Dad" wasn't legally or biologically his dad). All said and done now, about 8 years ago (he's 16 now). I'm still not 100% sure what he knows - at 8, when my DS was born, we were discussing names and he made the comment that at least he [my DS] didn't have to wait for the adoption to be finalized to get the right last name, but that's literally the only time it's been mentioned.

It was really the only choice for our family - he has the same name as my dad, stepmom, and other brother (my full bio brother), and my maiden name. Most people forget that he's not my bio-half brother, even my closest friends. Oh, and I'm his legal guardian if anything ever happened to our dad & his mom - that was another important piece of the adoption & subsequent will re-writing.