View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 08:24 AM   #5
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: Would you take your child to the Dr?

I also think it sounds like croup. But I would NOT take him in. A cough by itself with no other symptoms (And the fever you mentioned is very, very low. Not even sure most docs would consider it a fever...) is not very alarming to me.

Croup is a result of inflammation in the lungs/vocal cords. Which SOUNDS scarier than is actually *IS* You can google "croup" and they have sound clips you can listen to, to see if it sounds like your son's cough. Croup is usually characterized by a cough that sounds like a seal's bark, and is worse at night, or when the child exerts themselves.

Young kids get it usually after a cold or other upper respiratory illness. And it's just that their lungs are irritated and taking some time to heal back to normal. It will sound worse before it gets better.

Because it is not an infection or a virus, there is really no treatment, other than to give steroids to make the inflammation go down in the lungs. Typically, it's like 3 days of steroids. The croup will go away after that. But remember, steroids fry the immune system. So if your kid has croup, you go get the meds, the cough goes away (and it likely would have gone away on its own. Croup only lasts a week usually IIRC), but then the kid gets ill again, and then gets croup again. You can make a vicious cycle if you are not careful.

Croup ITSELF is not contagious, and is not dangerous UNLESS there are severe symptoms. You want to watch for things like bluish lips, *true* lethargy (can't wake the kid up at all, kid can't talk, kid is staring into outer space with no "life" in their eyes - sleepiness/crankiness is NOT lethargy), or a high pitched squeaky noise when the child inhales (called stridor). Those things mean your kid NEEDS help to breathe and should get treatment.

Otherwise, it will run its course, it will sound TERRIBLE, it will freak you out, you will be miserable from being up for a few nights, but it will go away on its own in a few days.

Here is some info. I am sure you can find a lot more.

There are some at home remedies that will help, too. Steamy shower, outside cold air, etc.

ETA: We just got over croup a while ago.

The first time my DS had it, it freaked me out really bad. I took him to the doc. Doc gave steroids. Steroids worked. Son got sick the following week and developed croup again. That time, I did not take him to get treated. I read a lot about it and researched it. My other two kids ALSO got it. And within about a week and a half everyone was done with it and no one has had it since. It's been probably 6 weeks now with no one else getting it.

Last edited by Kiliki; 01-28-2013 at 08:28 AM.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote