View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #12
momto2princesses
Registered Users

Re: Hospital or Home Birth????

I totally agree that in an ideal world, women would have freedom to make their own decisions while at the hospital, and not be forced into hospital protocols, etc. I know you can fight it any put your foot down, but it is SO HARD to do that.

I had a homebirth with my 2nd, and ultimately, I felt that that was the safer way to go for me. My husband and I are both physicians, and we felt very comfortable with the risks. For us, it came down to this....chances of a complication introduced by unnecessary interventions are much higher in the hospital....but if we were in that small percentage where something went wrong at home, would we be comfortable having taken that risk. For us the answer was yes, but I know not everyone feels that way.

Ironically, there is a birth center attached to the hospital here, but they won't let me deliver there because I've had a prior c-section. Not to mention that it was over 5 years ago and that I've since had a successful VBAC (which research has shown to reduce your risk of uterine rupture significantly). Oh well, it just means I'll be having this baby at home also.