Old 01-28-2013, 08:41 PM   #28
dancingingrace
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Am I terrible because...

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
I am sorry if I offend you with this, but as a mama who has had two births with epidural and two births without...That statement is a bunch of bullarky. It may have been "uncomfortable" for you, but for me, labor and delivery SUCKS. My body contracts for WEEKS, doing nothing, and that hurts. THen, as it turns into real labor, it hurts worse and still takes hours and hours to go from 1cm to 7 or 8cm. THen, I go from there to 10 within minutes and baby pretty much flys out. The whole experience for me is just awful. I know all about the breathing and the walking and the tub and all of that. It HURTS. A LOT. It IS suffering for me. It's not media and propaganda brainwashing. It's real genuine pain. And to go along with that...I don't enjoy pregnancy all that much either. The pain of pregnancy, labor and delivery and three of the very top reasons I am not having any more children. Please never tell anyone ever again that labor only hurts because they have been brainwashed by the media.

To the OP, no you aren't terrible for wanting an epidural.
Totally agree!

I went into both of my deliveries with an open mind. My first time, I had absolutely no idea what to even expect (obviously), so I wasn't set on getting one or not, just wanted to go with the flow and see what happened. I wasn't in pain until a little while after he broke my water, and I got the epi. AMAZING experience, I honestly enjoyed AND can remember every second of that labor and delivery. 2nd time, same thing...I was even induced with pitocin, and had no pain, but the second they broke my water, the pain turned on just like that, so I got the epi again. Another amazing experience!! And, BTW....I did have two of those births where I got the epi, relaxed with the tv, took a nap, pushed a baby out in under 15 min, and was catered to until I left the hospital...they DO happen...lol. But seriously OP, don't let anyone else's opinions make you feel badly for what YOU want, and for what works for you. Like my doctor told me, there are risks with every single thing you do in life, even things as simple as taking your prenatal vitamins...but, if epi's were so terrible, they wouldn't be allowed, like someone else mentioned. I've had some people try to make me feel badly for getting my epi's, but I don't feel badly about it because that was what worked for me. Neither of my babies suffered side effects, I didn't have side effects and was able to get up to the bathroom on my own very soon afterwards, and the biggest thing for me is that I enjoyed every moment of both labors and deliveries. If I were in all the pain (that I really do feel before my epi), my births wouldn't go as smoothly as they do and I wouldn't remember much of them b/c I'd be so worked up from the pain. Also, you don't need to worry about them wearing off too early b/c you can have them turned on until the anesthesiologist turns them off, it's not like you get one does and that's it. Just trust yourself, mama, and don't worry about anyone else!
dancingingrace is offline   Reply With Quote