Old 02-01-2013, 04:38 AM   #8
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help with Indoor Allergies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by megshmeg View Post
I'll look into the allergy covers. He doesn't keep stuffed animals. I got rid of some couch pillows too.

I'm glad to know about the Rainbow. There was also a steam cleaner... the Ladybug? Or something like that... crazy expensive but supposedly helpful.
We don't steam clean regularly- every few months. We do vacuum daily. About once a week vacuum under the couches. The allergy covers are one of the most important things you can do for dust mites. Make sure they are allergy not bed bug or just waterproof covers. You want them to say allergy. You are suppose to use them on both box spring and mattress, but a lot of people only use them on the mattress (us included).

Soft stuff was already mentioned, but you want to reduce or regularly wash soft surfaces. Wash all the bedding at least weekly as hot as you can get it. Its not going to last as long but it will help. Change your air/heat filters- suppose to be once a month for allergies, but we always forget and end up doing it every 2 or 3 months. Keep pets out of his room if you have any- even if there isn't a pet allergy they bring in dust, and mold and mildew spores from outside when they do their business.

Also- again regardless of the specific allergies try to stay away from heavily scented stuff- detergents, fabric softeners, perfumes, carpet sprinkles, fresh flowers, candles, etc. Those things can aggravate, especially if the allergies are already irritating. You might want to regularly check your showers and such- using a mildew/mold cleaner even if you don't see any. And make sure your running the vent during showers and baths. I highly recommend Flonase (or the like) if you need a regular med. Both me and my dd are able to use it as needed to help. For maximum benefit it should be used daily but even using it randomly helps.

BTW- I am allergic to pretty much everything you can breathe in. Dust mites being my worst. Grasses being next- i can't even go outside if anyone in our neighbor hood mows without covering my face. You want to dust with something sticky/clingy- under no circumstances do you want to use a traditional duster- microfiber cloth, and a dusting solution work good. I haven't tried any homemade or green. We just use pledge. Spray it on and wipe it up once a week or 2. I dust daily- just a quick wipe down with a damp cloth.