View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 07:56 AM   #40
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Re: Am I terrible because...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post
I sure it does hurt for some people no matter what. But if you go in thinking its going to hurt there is just about no way in hell what it isn't. That is more my point. I like to try to tell people that it doesn't hurt for everyone, so maybe it won't for you. I don't think people who have experienced this say it enough. I will never say it's easy.

Things didn't go prefect for me either, I pushed for 3hrs and got an episiotomy that was later extended (now those hurt like hell) cause he was stuck. I did get pitocin at the end it scared me but they said my contractions were back to 5 min apart (I had no concept of time). I think it just put things back on track in my situation and he was born soon after.

Like I said it is very hard work. I guess I was lucky that the whole labor was just under 24 hours, vrs days that the poster above mentioned.

Like everything with having and raising children its all personal decision and are many strong opinions. I don't think the OP is wrong for wanting to goto a hospital and have an epi, I'm sure that is right for some people. I agree with the poster that mentioned going to the hospital and trying to do it without, knowing its an option if needed.

I believe that people in the US believe labor is going to hurt no matter what. I don't think that should be a fact. It may hurt but, in my opinion, it's not a guarantee.
Yes, I read in the Hypnobirthing books how pain in childbirth is not a part of other cultures, but really, I don't think that's true. Even the Bible talks about the pain of childbirth and the curse for eating the forbidden fruit was pain in childbirth. I think some cultures might keep the fact there is pain a secret to not scare new moms, or just that husbands don't know what happens so don't realize there is pain or it's just a taboo subject. Some probably use local pain relief for mothers. Maybe in some cultures there isn't often pain which could be due to the physical build of the women in the culture and the size of the baby and the fact that they have many children or the type of manual labour they are used to gives them a different pain tolerance or helps the baby be born faster. The fact is in most 3rd world countries childbirth is very dangerous and still the leading cause of death of women. The people that have great labours with little to no pain are few and far between and are not the norm. You can't say almost every woman is feeling pain just because she expects it and so it's all really caused by her mindset. I didn't expect to feel lots of pain and I did.