Old 02-02-2013, 09:54 AM   #81
mmeneely
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Cloth diaper newborn through small for $17

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMGlad View Post
I have cloth diapered 4 kids using all different diapers during both feast and famine, and I always come back to this method. Here's what you will need:

3 18 packs of plain white washcloths from walmart $3.88 ea
(can also get a good deal from sam's or costco)

1 or 2 100% wool sweaters
(I got an xl cashmere/merino blend from amvets for $4.99)

OR

FFS nb/sm covers from DS. $4.60
(keep your eye out while you're pregnant, and you can really score, I might even have some for ya, )

2 packages of Coats and Clark pins from a dollar store 99 cents ea
(these are just like Dritz but with a bit of a curve, which I like, and they come in cute colors. 4 pins per pack)

OR

2 second hand snappi's $1 ea

So here's what you do:

take 2 washcloths and tri-fold 1 and lay it lengthwise down the other. Now you have a tiny prefold! Just fold in the sides like you would a prefold and pin or Snappi it on baby.

Next you can either keep an eye out for those FFS covers or sew 1 pair of longies and 2 short wool covers per sweater. I used these free patterns.

http://www.borntolove.com/frugal-column2.html
http://www.cafepress.com/thatskindacool/864331
This time around, I got elastic for the waist from some underwear that my oldest son had outgrown/worn out, works great.

I'm not a very good semstress, but these were super easy. After I was done, I also made up my own pattern to use the turtle neck of my sweater (any crewneck will work):

Cut out the neck and the back of the sweater down towards the waist about 16-18 inches long. You may have to include a bit of shoulder in the width, you want it about 8-10 inches wide , so that you have a ring with a long flap attached. Fold up the flap and stitch it to the front of the neck. You see, the neck will become the waist of baby's cover. Now cut diagonally across the 2 bottom corners about 4 inches long each to make leg holes. Stitch together the sides that will be along baby's hips from waist to leg hole. You're almost done! Cut 2 strips from the remaining waistline of the sweater about 8-9 inches long each (this all works real well if you have a large sweater) and however high your sweater's ribbed waistline is. Stitch the ends together so that you have 2 rings and sew them on to the leg holes of your cover. There, you're done! 3 covers. Took me about 2 hours to do them all.

After you LO outgrows the washcloths, you can use them for doublers and wipes! Or trifold them into bigger microfiber cloths ($15.99 for a 32 pack from the auto section of Costco) for medium dipes.

Here is a photo of my DD at 10 weeks (11-12 lbs) in a washcloth dipe.

And one of her modeling her covers.

I absolutely admire you for being so brilliant and savvy about this. You have made me seriously think!
mmeneely is offline   Reply With Quote