Old 02-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #14
ktarsha
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Composting

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaJules View Post
I decided to just use a Rubbermaid tub we had sitting around, drilled holes in the bottom, and set it on top of some paving stones we had sitting around. I put in all my veggie scraps, egg shells, dryer lint, that sort of stuff -- and put some leaves on top. I mix it around every so often. I have been amazed how quickly stuff breaks down. During the winter it doesn't do much, since it has been frozen, but it still breaks down enough to keep up with what I am putting in.
That's pretty much what I do. I have two large Rubbermaid (or similar) garbage cans, which I poked full of holes, and I just toss all my compostables in - vegetable scraps, eggshells, toilet paper rolls, tea bags, newspaper, etc. Sometimes I tip them over and roll them around to mix it up a little. I didn't make the holes big enough, so it doesn't break down as fast as it could, and now that it's winter and nothing much is happening, the cans have pretty well filled up and I'm just tossing food scraps out in the far back of the yard. Eventually I'm going to enlarge the holes, and hopefully that will take care of the problem of it all turning to stinky slime.