View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 11:49 AM   #13
Tresor27
Registered Users
seller

Re: An alternative to store bought formula!

Hi mamas,

I don't want to scare anyone, but in my research to try to find an acceptable organic formula without toxic chemicals or gmos, i was looking into the option of making my own, either goat's milk or other. And i came across this link that says the weston price suggestions may be dangerous. Anyone have any thoughts? I came on this forum to look for more suggestions, not trying to go around debunk anyone, but since i found this information (not saying this link is 100% accurate either, who knows who is right?) but in the interest of all you mamas who love yr little ones as much as i, just wanted to throw it out there, food for thought.

http://www.vegsource.com/news/2010/0...oundation.html

Anyway, haven't got far in my search except to narrow it down to Baby's Only or Earth's Best, or possibly Holle from Germany and even inquired into one from Switzerland that Amazon reviewers recommended. Baby's Only scares me in that it's primary ingredient, brown rice syrup had been linked to arsenic. Earth's best seems to have ingredients that may be GMO derived. And even Holle too. Then there's the concern about the added DHA/ARA which in most formulas is from a company called Martek and whose process uses hexane...inconclusive to me whether or not trace amts of hexane remain in the formula (i've read both pro and con arguments) - not a concern for Baby's only though. And for all of these, what about the BPA in packaging leaching into the formula? The EWG did an excellent executive summary about this and conclude powder is at least safer than the liquid formulas in regards to BPA leaching. Aaaagh!

Let's see, what's the least of the evils? Arsenic? Hexane? Bpa? GMOs? I mean come on, this is supposed to be Safe for Babies!! Even Organic companies are culpable. Sigh.

Help! Anyone have any suggestions?
Tresor27 is offline   Reply With Quote