View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #14
JustSomeChickVee
Banned

Re: An alternative to store bought formula!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tresor27 View Post
Hi mamas,

I don't want to scare anyone, but in my research to try to find an acceptable organic formula without toxic chemicals or gmos, i was looking into the option of making my own, either goat's milk or other. And i came across this link that says the weston price suggestions may be dangerous. Anyone have any thoughts? I came on this forum to look for more suggestions, not trying to go around debunk anyone, but since i found this information (not saying this link is 100% accurate either, who knows who is right?) but in the interest of all you mamas who love yr little ones as much as i, just wanted to throw it out there, food for thought.

http://www.vegsource.com/news/2010/0...oundation.html

Anyway, haven't got far in my search except to narrow it down to Baby's Only or Earth's Best, or possibly Holle from Germany and even inquired into one from Switzerland that Amazon reviewers recommended. Baby's Only scares me in that it's primary ingredient, brown rice syrup had been linked to arsenic. Earth's best seems to have ingredients that may be GMO derived. And even Holle too. Then there's the concern about the added DHA/ARA which in most formulas is from a company called Martek and whose process uses hexane...inconclusive to me whether or not trace amts of hexane remain in the formula (i've read both pro and con arguments) - not a concern for Baby's only though. And for all of these, what about the BPA in packaging leaching into the formula? The EWG did an excellent executive summary about this and conclude powder is at least safer than the liquid formulas in regards to BPA leaching. Aaaagh!

Let's see, what's the least of the evils? Arsenic? Hexane? Bpa? GMOs? I mean come on, this is supposed to be Safe for Babies!! Even Organic companies are culpable. Sigh.

Help! Anyone have any suggestions?

Veg source?? Bias right there. That article does a good job of twisting what WAPF says.

Here are some issues:

"Poached brains of animals should be added to other ground meats for better nutrition" Brain is VERY healthy. not that i would eat it, but it is incredibly nutritious.

"Raw cows milk and meat broth should be fed to newborns who don't breast feed, rather than infant formula." So misleading. First, WAPF advocates extended BFing. They also advocate baby led weaning and not feeding solids early on. http://www.westonaprice.org/children...luZmFudCdzIjt9

Raw cow's milk is used IN an infant formula they designed, and pasteurized milk that is cultured can be used instead of raw milk. People are not just feeding their kid's raw milk alone, that would not provide adequate nutrition, though many children have survived and thrived on raw milk alone around the world.

The homemade formula for cow's milk and goat's milk meet the FDA's nutritional requirements for infant formula. The values were almost identical to the organic formula that I was using before (Organic Parent's Choice.)

"Regular ingestion of clay (Azolimite Mineral Powder) because the clay particles remove pathogens from the body." If you search "Azolimite Mineral Powder" on the WAPF site, nothing comes up at all. What does come up is azomite clay, and the fact that Fuhrman doesn't know anything about the clays tells me he is in no position to discuss the clays. there are food grade clays, such as food grade bentonite clay that do detox the body and are used by naturopaths for that purpose. Azomite clay is just a brand name for bentonite clay mined in Utah. However, the benefit from ingesting small amounts of the clay comes from their mineral content.

http://www.westonaprice.org/vitamins...Y2xheXMiO30%3D

"There are benefits of feeding sea salt to infants and babies" If you search "sea salt infant" on the WAPF site, there is only one article where sea salt is mentioned in reference to feeding infants, and that is the article I posted above (i'll put the link here again.) All it says is adding a pinch of sea salt to egg yolks for an infant over 4 months old.... it doesn't say anything about there being benefits to it either.

"Fruits and vegetables should be limited in children's diets." they definitely do not make this claim. In fact, if you look at article i posted above again, they mention fruits and veggies as some of baby's first foods. actually nowhere on there site do they mention limiting fruits and veggies. they actually mention increasing their intake and lowering processed sugar intake with natural sugars....

". But contrary to a plethora of scientific studies indicating that breast milk should be the only food for the first six months, " No, they don't say that. They say infants should be breastfed for at least 6 months, but ideally at least a year. again, see the Nourishing A Growing Baby article.

"What does WAPF recommend?
One WAPF baby formula mixes cow's milk with heavy cream and other oils, while another is made from cow's liver, beef broth, whey powder, and various oils." No. They recommend breastfeeding for at least six months, but ideally at least a year. The formula is in the case that breastfeeding doesn't happen. Yes it mixes cow's milk with oils. So do most commercial formulas... And none of the formulas include whey powder, they specifically say not to use whey powder and to use fresh homemade whey. Whey is an ingredient in most, if not all, commercial formulas.

"Infants fed cow's milk instead of breast milk or formula do not get sufficient iron, vitamin C, linoleic acid, or vitamin E, and take in excessive amounts of sodium, potassium, and protein, which can lead to dehydration and kidney damage. " This is true. If you're feeding your child cow's milk instead of breast milk or formula. The recipe is for formula and nobody is suggesting that feeding your baby cow's milk alone is safe or advisable.

" For many years, the American Academy of Pediatricians has warned against the use of any whole cow's milk during the first year of life after it was found that infants given cow's milk developed iron deficiency and occult (silent) bleeding of the digestive tract." all of the studies I have seen regarding anemia as a result of enteric bleeding have associated enteric bleeding with feeding of whole cow's milk instead of breast milk or formula, and not with iron supplemented formulas. Some have suggested that this is a result of intact milk proteins, but most infant formulas do contain intact milk proteins. Others have suggested this is a result of the low iron content of whole cow's milk and cow's milk sensitivities. Most commercial formulas use cow's milk, it is usually the first ingredient. The WAPF formula is an iron supplemented formula. Sources of iron include nutritional yeast, coconut oil, and acerola powder which increases iron absorption. Again, the formula does meet FDA nutritional requirements for infant formula.

"The Weston A. Price website states that "people with high cholesterol
live the longest," and that it is a myth " Fuhrman makes no differentiation between the types of cholesterol. Here is an article by WAPF on cholesterol. http://www.westonaprice.org/cardiova...xlc3Rlcm9sIjt9 Read the research from both sides. The documentary Fat Head actually has an interesting take on this, even using the most unhealthy diet of all.

"Dr. Mercola claims that consuming pasteurized milk (instead of raw milk) causes autism, and that coconut oil kills viruses." I don't think I've ever seen him say that pasteurized milk causes autism... and coconut oil is antiviral, and not just according the WAPF and Mercola.

"Keep in mind, I am not arguing that a person who eats no animal products (a vegan) will be healthier or will lead a longer life than one who eats small amounts of animal products (such as a small amount of fish or eggs)." I DO agree with this. The fact is that the longest living cultures, such as the Okinawans, consume little meat. But they consume it.

At least Fuhrman is being honest about the potential nutritional issues involved with veganism.

I will say that I do not agree with everything, or even a lot of things that WAPF promotes. I do believe that we consume too much meat in this country. But I also believe that Dr. Fuhrman took a very dishonest and inaccurate approach in attempting to debunk WAPF... and this was all just a big ol sales pitch:

"I advocate a diet rich in micronutrients, especially antioxidants and phytochemicals, and the largest percentage of everyone's diet must be from unrefined plant foods-no matter what your genetic "type."
In order to do this, you must understand the nutrient density of all foods and eat more foods higher on the nutrient density scale. (Animal products are very low in nutrient density.) This nutrient per calorie density principle is what my book Eat to Live is about."

Ah, Dr. Fuhrman. At the end of your highly questionable rant, you say suggest that we should learn about nutrition from YOUR book... you know, the book we would have to buy, thus putting money in your wallet. He, like most health "gurus" is just trying to turn a profit.

and at the end of the day, their cow's and goat's milk infant formula recipes are very similar to the ingredients in commercial formulas and they do meet the FDA's nutritional requirements. There is nothing Dr. Fuhrman can say to debunk those facts.

Last edited by JustSomeChickVee; 02-04-2013 at 06:05 PM.
JustSomeChickVee is offline   Reply With Quote