View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
lilac0226
Registered Users

Re: mom of many--5 kids-- family downsizing

Good luck, I downsized with 4, then added 1 and after 6 months of 5 kids in 1300 sq ft. thought I was going crazy. I think the key is to get rid of all non-necessities, my space was way too cramped by stuff that I had way too much storage when I needed livable space. Obviously you will be getting rid of a lot of stuff just for your move. If you have a walk-in closet, that can be made into a room for a baby or an office area. I was converting a walk-in closet to an office for my husband when the right house to move came up but having quiet space was difficult, so I think that would have worked. I would also check out craigslist in the area you are moving to, just to have a good idea of what kinds of things you could easily and inexpensively buy once you move there because it might be a lot easier to sell some of your big furniture items and rebuy them. Good luck, I hope it all goes smoothly. We lived in a townhouse complex but I will say it was positive for the kids, they really did not mind us not having our own yard or living in cramped quarters, they loved all the kids in the complex they had to play with and there was a swimming pool for the summer. The other hard part might be figuring out a good child proof area for the baby. Upstairs had a landing type area, my plan was to put a rug, rocking chair and the babies toys, get a mini-crib and gate off the stairs and close all the room doors to give her a play area/ baby room in the hall. So had we stayed there it was a 3 bedroom but I was going to utilize the upstairs landing area and a walk-in closet to basically give it the space similar to a 5 bedroom. We also had a single garage that we had considered dry walling part off to make either an office or playroom, but hubby opted to get a motorcycle instead. We had one of those combo living/dinning/kitchen rooms, hopefully you don't have one of those but I would definitely prioritize the space if you do. In ours hubby had a 60 inch tv with a huge entertainment center, smaller tv and no entertainment center I think the space could have been utilized better. We also were able to fit one of those corner bench style tables that can seat up to 8 people, it took up less space than a round with chairs table would have.

Last edited by lilac0226; 02-05-2013 at 01:40 PM.
lilac0226 is offline   Reply With Quote