Old 02-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #24
MeCo7707
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: If you do not live in the US...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairycat View Post
What about a split personality? You are from the US but live out of the country, then you really will have a different perspective on some things
This, right now I am in America, but I have lived in th uk, and hoping to move down under...my views usually clash w the majority here

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiddles View Post
I totally get where the OP is coming from... I can think of a recent thread where knowing this info would have hopefully prevented the onslaught of daggers from the rest of the holier than thou moms...

As someone who has traveled the world extensively and very aware of cultural differences... The differences between cultures around the world are INCREDIBLY more intense than the those between States, political parties, parenting practices in USA etc... so it's not the same...

However, I'm not sure it's fair to ask those outside of the USA to identify that about themselves... common knowledge (to me...) says, that when they come here to post something about their life, they would preface it with a disclosure about where they are from... since the majority of DS members are American... but that's "my" common sense... LOL
While I agree, I think it is a weird assumption, the fact is we should always be aware that our reality is not everyones reality...if both the American and the non-A,merican had some understanding it might not matter where they are from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunkify View Post
I think it's ridiculous to tell someone what they need to disclose on a board because it may impact the way others react and interact with them. It also functions under the assumption that the region/area/country you currently live has defined you and every other person in your area in a similar way...and that of course is just not the case.

Maybe instead of telling everyone to put location in everyone should be reminded there is another person, with feelings, behind the screen-that person could be your best friend, sister-in-law, future son-in-law's mother, etc. and that no one is perfect-no matter what they try to present here on DS- check your Tiaras at the door.
I could kiss ya for that, the snarkiness is sometimes unnecessary and I hope we all can see that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
I can see where the OP is coming from, but... We live in America but we don't live/raise our kids culturally American. If that makes sense.
same here