View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
Mommyto2B2G
Registered Users
Formerly: **kau*
seller

My Mood:
Play Date Issues.

Let me start this by saying I am not a snob, I promise. I have reasons for not wanting my children to do play dates. One being I happened to have been abused on a play date when I was a child. By my Mom's trusted friends child. So here is the situation.

We just moved and have been in our new house for about a month I think. Right away one of my sons found a new best friend. This new friend has been asking my son to come over every week since they met. First it started out with he gave my son his phone number. Next weekend he sent a note home from his mom with her e-mail and phone number. Very nice I thought but I told my son to just let his friend know we were very busy moving in right now (our moving truck had arrived that weekend too I believe) and maybe some other time. Last week he didn't ask but my son was also home sick with an ear ache. Today my son came home with a really cute note again saying please come over from his friend.

I honestly don't know how to handle the situation because on one hand I can see that I am being pretty over-protective and I feel bad. I don't allow them to stay places like birthday parties alone and unless I know the parent we don't do play dates with strangers. I also never leave my kids on those play dates. I do this because of experiences I have had in life that I honestly would love to protect my children from. I let them have plenty of fun and I swear I am not up their butts 24/7 but when it comes to play dates I prefer a meet up in a park where I can fully supervise myself. I'd ask that but right now it is cold as heck in MN and we are constantly covered in snow. Having a play date at our house right now isn't an option either, our house is still covered in boxes. I'm slowly unpacking but I'm almost 7 months pregnant and have a lot on my plate to get ready for baby and set up a new life here. This move was a cross country move.

I was thinking of e-mailing the mom but how do I do it without saying, "Hey! I'm a crazy over-protective mom and I don't know you so no!" because in all honesty when things settle down I don't mind getting to know his friend's mom to have play dates. I just am crazy busy and swamped with things atm. I feel a little bad because I don't know if we will get to it this any time soon.
What would you do? Any advice?
Mommyto2B2G is offline   Reply With Quote