View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 10:30 PM   #11
tesslouise
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctj101502 View Post
I used to always do crock pot yogurt. I just did it yesterday for the first time in almost 2 yrs and it was weird. Anyone else use raw milk for their yogurt? I always used store bought but now use raw. It was so full of whey and 1 gallon only made a quest and as half after draining to thicken it. Did I do wrong doing a full gallon instead of my normal half? Do you think the raw w. Cream in it affects it? Not trying to hijack, just figured . Other yogurt makes could weigh in. Oh . And I made my own yogurt for yrs before the 2 yr break. Also have a new crock pot that had a warm seeing so I left out on that all night instead of writing w. Towels like yrs previous
We used to use raw milk for yogurt making but we had a couple batches inexplicably fail and that was a huge waste of money. I read that raw milk is friendlier to all bacteria--good and bad--so my "good" yogurt-making bacteria may have had too much competition from who knows what. We've had much more consistent results using low-heat-pasteurized, non-homogenized local milk. We get over 1 quart of very thick strained yogurt from 1/2 gallon of milk.