View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 11:31 PM   #21
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: How long to fast for the 1 hr GD test?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspopo View Post
Thanks! I ate an egg breakfast then went in for the test 3 or 4 hours later.

The lady in the lab was really confused because she said I was supposed to fast for 12 hours then they do the blood draw, then 2 hours later do another blood draw. I'm wondering if the rules have changed or something and that this is a more routine way to do it now. She was able to confirm with the doctor that I can do a 1 hour test (which is all I had time for considering childcare) with no fasting and just 1 draw at the end. So it all worked out I guess. But I still find it strange that there is so much variation in the testing requirements.
It can be confusing, can't it! LOL! What the lady in the lab was thinking you were taking was a 2 hour test. This is the non-pregnant glucose test. You do have to fast for 12 hours, then have blood drawn on arrival for fasting levels, drink the glucose, then wait 2 hours for the second blood draw.

The regular 1 hour test is for pregnant women and there really is no need to fast as they are not testing you fasting level, just your level after the glucose. So avoiding something full of carbs right before is recommended. This test is just a screening test to see who may have problems.

The 3 hour test you have to fast the 10-12 hours, have blood drawn on arrival for fasting level, drink the glucose and then have your blood drawn every hour for 3 hours. This is the actual Glucose Tolerance Test. And it is NOT fun.

I'm so lucky, I've done all 3 varieties!