View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 09:05 PM   #1
marenmccoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Giving it another go after failing last time around.

I am due to have my second child in April. When my son was born I tried breastfeeding and it didn't work out. I won't go into all the details, but when I say tried, I mean TRIED- multiple consults with LCs, pumping, fenugreek, supplemental nurser, etc. and still after 6 weeks I ended up stopping because DS was failing to thrive and had to have formula to live at that point, and then straight up rejected the breast.

So I'm planning to try again with this baby, and I'm wondering if anyone has advice. I know probably the most important thing is probably just not let it stress me out, but it's scary because I was really driven into a bad place emotionally by the experience last time.

I'm already planning to drink lactation tea and eat oatmeal in the morning and just generally get myself better fed this time around (didn't have a lot of support in the weeks after birth last time) However, the LC last time was convinced that supply was not my problem (although I have doubts)

I was using a shield and I wonder if that could have had something to do with it. Anything I can do to make it less painful in the beginning? All the LCs at the hospital told me it was inevitable because I'm a redhead (apparently BFing is more painful for redheads??) I've heard of "toughening up" your nipples with a towel or something, but then I've also heard that can cause preterm labor.

Okay, this is getting way longer than I meant it to be. Thanks if you made it this far and thanks in advance for any advice/words of encouragement.
marenmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote