View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 11:31 AM   #64
birdinhand
Registered Users

Re: Is there a way to prevent pooping while pushing? :(

This is a loaded topic, by how many replies there have been, lol.

As a doula and childbirth educator, I always tell mamas pooping is good for two reasons, one, it shows you are pushing correctly, and two, it gives the baby more room. It is totally normal.

I pooped with my first, which was an induction, so obviously my body didn't have time to try and empty things out. It was a big, hard poop .

With my second, I did go into labor on my own, and I pushed for 90 minutes. With just about every push, I had some very loose (yes, toothpaste-like!) poops. My midwife just kept cleaning my off (I have it al on video, lol). Dh never said anything. He didn't say anything the first time, either.

With my third, I was certain I was going to poop, it felt like that. So I pushed this baby out, he's on me all wet a slick and squishy, and I swear one of the first things I said was, "I can't believe I didn't poop! I was sure I was going to poop!" My midwife then told me two things. She said, "You know, it's a very thin membrane the separates the the rectum from the vagina, so that's how you feel. And we don't remember who pooped and who didn't. I don't run into you at the grocery store and think, 'Oh right, she pooped.'" LOL. I love my midwife.

I don't know what will happen this time, but being at home, a least I will have more opportunity to use my own toilet -- the toilet I use every day .

I have also seen plenty of poop in water births -- we just use a fish net to scoop it out. And I have seen lots of women poop even with they are doing self-directed pushing. It's a crap-shoot if you will or you won't.
birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote