View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #26
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Chat Thread ~ Feb 10th - 16th

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
Interesting. Maybe my last doc minimized the risks?? He talked about chance of uterine rupture (very small), and explained that could potentially be very bad, but also that they'd monitor me more closely. I guess what I would look at is the chance of something going catastrophicly wrong in VBAC vs. C-section if it's really bothering you. I know I second guessed myself more than once with mine, but I felt at the end like VBAC was the right choice, ya know? I guess for me I feel like there's always a small chance of something going horribly wrong, it's just life.
yeah, I'm still totally feeling at peace with this choice as opposed to a repeat csection, but well.. totally at peace isn't right.. I'm a rollercoaster of thoughts and emotions, but I am still leaning towards the vbac. I know, statistically, it's better for everyone. but when I talked to my doula last week, she asked me what my biggest fear was and I said 'that I will labor and then end up with a csection'. If I'm going to end up with a csection, let's just do it here on base, close to my house and DD. Not an hour away after hours of labor.

DD showed small signs of distress for most of my 20+ hours of labor, but they just monitored it. This video made it seem like they are not willing to accept any signs of distress and will very quickly move you to the OR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinhand View Post
I quoted the above because VBACs are more safe than not. We used to do VBACs all the time, and we didn't stop because things got catastrophic -- we stopped because liability insurance went up, and ACOG made a statement that a hospital could only offer VBAC if they had dedicated anethesia (24/7) available to their OB units. I have been to many VBACs as a doula, most at the hospital, and some at home. The biggest factor of success with a VBAC is having a practitioner who thinks you CAN VBAC -- studies have shown if a practitioner is on-board and positive and supportive, women have higher rates of VBAC success -- when a practitioner waffles or plants that seed of doubt, a woman's chance of successfully VBACing goes down. You absolutely can do this! I would encourage you to look for more positive VBAC stories and videos.
hi Stacie! welcome to the group!

and you are right.. it's just that now that seed has been planted. I was living in a bubble where vbacs were supported and possible and highly likely if the mom was committed. Now, I'm just scared that I won't perform well, I'll stall labor and I'll end up with another csection. I mean, that is exactly what I did with DD. I stressed and tensed (even though I knew better!) and I stalled labor.

luckily this time I have a doula.. but I have to figure out a way to relax. It is not in my nature :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmomma View Post
my Dr talked to me aboutmany of those things. But he gave me both the risks of a vbac and c/s so he was very calming about it.

When I was in the hospital and a different Dr was on duty she came in right after my epi and ran through the list of problems there could be--which I knew already and when she left I turned to my nurse and said "she totally just killed my buzz!" The nurse just rubbed my back and said, "I know, you are going to be fine."

It felt good bc I was really in a place that was supposrtive. They have to run down the risks of everything but in the end I stayed open minded, calm, and positive ad I got my VBAC.
teach me to stay calm and positive! I am a stressed out hypochondriac pessimist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers View Post
VBAC is not as dangerous and catastrophic as many (most, in the US) Drs make it out to be - and that sounds like how that video leans.
If you like, this is the SOGC (canadian OBs etc.) standards/protocol for VBAC. It's much less scary than that video sounds, lol!

Uterine rupture can be catastrophic, yes. But it truly is not common. And it isn't always catastrophic, either. Just because a VBAC isn't successful does not mean that mom had a rupture - it just means that, for many possible reasons, a c-sec was decided on as needed. Whether that was for failure to progress, fetal distress, etc.

Emily - the bolded is what really bothers me, to be honest. Why in the world would your doula, someone who you are trusting in for complete support of your decisions, recommend watching something that would cast a negative light on your wants and cause you to have doubts? That doesn't make sense to me. I would bring it up and ask her about it, see what her response is. If she's not comfortable herself with VBACs, I would find another doula.
thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

my doula apologized - she said that's not how she reacted to the video at all. She's very supportive and has a high rate of doula-ing vbacs. but, you know everyone watches things and comes out with their own impression. That's just how I reacted.

I don't think anyone is supposed to watch that video and come out that way. I think you're supposed to focus on the 2 success stories and the statistics, not the 1 fail story and the flip side of the coin. I mean, it's pro-vbac propoganda. lol.. but you can generally count on me to focus on the other side.

I'm really just waiting to see if DH says anything. I don't really know what he's thinking. Neither of us had really factored in the whole 'mom and baby could die' portion of this. Which, yes, is a risk in a csection as well.

am feeling calmer today.
and a ton more volatile.
all at once.